Since 1903, Gordon Brothers has helped lenders, operating companies, advisors, and investors move forward through change. We bring a powerful combination of expertise, operational experience, and capital to each opportunity. With services in valuations, dispositions, operations, and investments we customize solutions on an integrated or standalone basis. We provide rapid solutions and reliable outcomes for clients at all points in the business lifecycle. Whether to fuel growth or facilitate strategic consolidation, we work across industries and around the world to put assets to their highest and best use.
Our Brands Division helps unlock value from undervalued intangible assets. Our unique business is the only brand specialist that owns, lends against, consults to, and values consumer brands of all types. This diverse brand experience puts us in a strong position to succeed in a rapidly changing market. In addition to owning and operating the Wet Seal and Bench brands, the Brands Division also has significant brand-backed loans outstanding to Cherokee, Jonathan Adler, and other high profile global brands.
Due to business growth, we have a unique opportunity for an experienced leader to join a team with an extraordinary record of accomplishment, looking to expand their product and reach in the marketplace. The successful individual will have a strong record of achievement in investing in or otherwise monetizing consumer brands and in conducting business development with lenders, private equity firms, and bankers. This individual will help drive the brand investment initiatives of Gordon Brothers Brands business across the spectrum of sourcing, analysis, negotiations, and closing of consumer brand transactions. This role reports directly to President, Brands Division.
The position is based in: New York City; Los Angeles; or the global headquarters in Boston MA. Travel required is approximately 30%
New deal sourcing:
* Increase deal flow by developing and maintaining access to and relationships with individuals in the lending, private equity, investment banking, brokering and restructuring communities, as well as related professionals (e.g. attorneys, accountants, consultants). * Identify, prioritize, and pursue consumer brand investment opportunities, sharing maintaining prospect contact throughout the transaction life cycle and collaborating with the team in structuring, analyzing and underwriting opportunities. * Identify, prioritize and bring to market new investment ideas that leverage our asset knowledge and infrastructure and build our consumer brand investment portfolio in a sustainable and profitable manner. * Aid the Division President by developing the short and long term pipeline. This includes sourcing deals, building external network and finding business solutions to drive growth. Provide weekly realistic pipeline updates outlining stages of deals, closing probabilities, and resources needed to bring opportunities to closure.
Financial analysis, valuation and while space identification:
* Leverage data, trend and cultural information and insights to define white space business opportunities in the consumer brands space. Monitor consumer response to broader trends impacting the category, competitive communication activity, and marketplace learnings. * Lead due diligence on prospective investments from beginning to end. This includes assessing the investment strategy, management team, investment risks, portfolio valuations, reference calls, etc. This position is expected to deliver high quality finished work product in a timely fashion. * Conduct additional market research and competitive analyses in order to validate information provided in the course of due diligence of consumer brands investment opportunities. * Work closely with other members of the team to best identify and quantify brand growth opportunities and to determine how such initiatives would impact brand value.
* Lead structuring and negotiating for complex brand related deals. Work closely with internal and external attorneys to structure favorable business terms. * Creatively utilize structure to capture asymmetric returns, baking in potentials for upside while mitigating downside risk.
* Lead the tracking and monitoring of the progress of the portfolio and be responsible for the development of monthly reporting to the Gordon Brothers investment committee. * Responsible for interfacing with other functions within Gordon Brothers to ensure that revenues are being receiving in a timely manner. * Drive negotiations with portfolio company management teams when agreement amendments are required.
* Bachelor's degree with a concentration in marketing or related field. MBA or JD preferred. Minimum 10 years post-graduate experience in private equity, investment banking, a brand licensing investment platform or management consulting. Demonstrable experience in sourcing and executing transactions in the consumer brands space is critical. * Strong entrepreneurial orientation with a desire to source, sell, analyze, negotiate and structure complicated deals. * Demonstrated business acumen and curiosity about how business operates and makes money. Strong intellectual capacity with a keen mind for data analytics. Demonstrated ability to work in multiple disciplines across industries and build client knowledge and credibility quickly. * Solid understanding of market research, data analysis and business valuation methods. * Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal abilities. * Experience vetting, underwriting and executing deals. Demonstrated skill in evaluating proposed investments. * Comfort facilitating the negotiation, closing and funding of new investments. * Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with senior leaders and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization while utilizing excellent business judgment in complex situations. * Flexible and tolerant of ambiguity; able to chart a forward direction even when the path is not clear.
Gordon Brothers offers a competitive total compensation package including base salary, incentive plan, health insurance, dental benefits, a generous 401(k) match, time off, and more.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact the Human Resources department if you have a disability and need reasonable accommodation with any part the application process. We consider requests on a case-by-case basis.
Gordon Brothers is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.